A new year is truly a new season that God brings us. And what we do with that new season is just as important. So, let’s look at how to start your new year right and enter this new season.
To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven… Ecclesiastes 3:1 NKJV
God knows infinitely more than we do; He is Creator and without Him there would be nothing.
He knows the end from the beginning. So to get the heart and mind of God for our lives in the season we’re in, is significant so that we can continue living purposeful, intentional, power-filled, full lives.
The Lord Has Good Plans For You
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV
Here are some promises you can be certain of from God:
- The Lord makes all things work together for good. (Romans 8:28)
- What the enemy intends for evil in your life, God meant for good. (Genesis 50:20)
- We cannot do anything without the power of the Holy Spirit working in us and through us. (John 15:5)
- For all the promises of God are yes and amen! (2 Corinthians 1:20)
- Every good gift and every perfect gift is from God. (James 1:17)
- We are to fill the earth with His glory by living our lives fully for the Lord, hearing what He says and doing it. (John 17:20-23)
** Get your FREE printable at the end of this post **
Embrace The Season
With the confidence in the Lord concerning His promises, we know that whatever season we’re in, it’s is not meant to last.
Seasons in our lives change constantly.
Not every season is easy, and not every season is hard. Just as sure as we can be that winter turns to spring, spring to summer, summer to autumn and autumn to winter, what we’re facing is always temporary and meant to change.
And the season you’re in right now is not only about you; it’s about what God wants to do in you, so that He can reach others through you.
God sees so much more than you do about your life and how you’re to impact others through the season you’re going through. So, moving forward in your season, whether it’s easy or not is for your growth, for the glory of God to be seen, and your testimony as a witness of God’s goodness.
Consider embracing the season you’re in.
By recognizing the season, you choose to change or at the very least know that things are going to change. You choose to move forward in your life by embracing the season.
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Galatians 6:9 NKJV
It’s Time For Transformation
We become like what and whom we surround ourselves with.
Everything around us, including social media, friendships, relationships, media, government, education and those you follow, are all forms of influence.
Whatever or whomever you allow to speak into your life is feeding your mind. So it’s crucial to protect yourself from being influenced, and instead be an influencer for Christ.
So what we need to do is change the way we think.
God’s ways are so much higher than our ways. By having a relationship with Him, it’s about becoming conformed to the image of Christ and our the renewal of our minds is where it starts!
How we do renew our minds?
By digesting, meditating and speaking the Word of God!
Romans 12:2 TPT says,
Stop imitating the ideals and opinions of the culture around you, but be inwardly transformed by the Holy Spirit through a total reformation of how you think. This will empower you to discern God’s will as you live a beautiful life, satisfying and perfect in his eyes.
How to Start Your New Year Right
IDENTIFY, ACKNOWLODGE, CHANGE
A new year brings about a desire to change things in our lives and resolve to create goals and achieve them.
Let’s go through a process of self-examination through identifying what in our lives needs to change, acknowledging that change is needed, and finally, making and seeing the change.
ACTION STEP #1 – IDENTIFY
Examine your life in the areas below and identify how you’re doing. By doing this, you’re empowering yourself to start the new year right!
- How do you spend your time?
- Whom do you spend your time with?
- How are you doing in your health in these areas:
- Am I being fully present and engaging mindfully in all that I do?
- How am I moving from information and inspiration to application and transformation?
- What new goals do I desire to see in my life?
ACTION STEP #2 – ACKNOWLEDGE
So now that you’ve identified how you’re doing in the areas above, acknowledge what you need to change and that you need to change.
Acknowledgement is important. Without recognizing that these areas need your work and attention, you’re denying yourself God’s empowerment to change these areas.
God’s grace is sufficient for change. But, if we don’t want to change and see that it’s necessary, the enemy would love nothing more than for you to stay the same.
Be honest with yourself this area; it’s important!
ACTION STEP #3 – CHANGE
With the areas you’ve looked at above, fill in these statements.
- I need to stop spending my time ________________ and start spending my time ________________ .
- The people that I need to spend less time with are ________________ . The people that I need to be spending more time with are ________________ .
- For the sake of my:
- mental health, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- emotional health, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- physical health, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- relational health, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- financial health, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- In order to be fully present and engaging mindfully, I need to stop ________________ and start ________________ .
- I’ve taken in a lot of information and inspiration in these areas ________________ and now I will apply what I’ve learned so that I experience transformation in these areas ________________ .
- I desire to see these new goals in my life ________________ .
Be Doers, Not Hearers Only
To see the results of the change you are hungry for in your life means you’re acknowledging that you need to change, identifying the steps to change it, and putting in the work which is the most challenging part.
We often lack consistency, dedication, self-discipline and self-control when it comes to putting in the work.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22 NKJV
We deceive ourselves and deny ourselves change when we don’t follow through with it. And we have a habit of making ourselves feel bad, wrong and guilty for it.
But God is so much greater than our insufficiencies.
He is faithful when we bring our challenges before Him. He knows that our pursuit is His pursuit, especially when we’re living set apart for Him, and the changes we want to see are positive for our lives and others.
I encourage you to spend devoted time in prayer, fasting and journaling this new year.
God will speak to your heart as you hunger and thirst after Him. And then rest in who God is by trusting in Him.
You can’t control the outcomes, but you can do what you know to do and God does the rest. His grace fills the gaps, because God can do things that you can’t.
Respond to the Word of Truth, allow it to change and transform you, and see what God will do. This is truly how you start the new year right.
Take the 30-Day “Renewing My Mind” Bible Scripture Challenge below. Refresh yourself concerning the very nature and character of God!
Renewing My Mind 30-Day Bible Scripture Challenge
How are you starting the new year right? Let me know in the comments below.
Anchored in Jesus,