After a long day, dinner conversations are sometimes non-existent. Or, if you’re homeschooling, you may already feel like you know what the day was like, so no need to talk about it with your kids. But, what about your husband?
KEEP YOUR HUSBAND IN THE LOOP
In all of this, though, I find that with a homeschooling lifestyle, it’s especially important to keep my husband in the conversation about the day. And the way I do this is by intentionally talking to him about the day, having the children engage with me and finally, utilizing conversation starters.
I find that conversation starters really help to engage in unique discussions and not the typical day-to-day stuff.
DEVELOPING STRONG FAMILY BONDS
Does opening up and talking happening naturally? Not necessarily. Sometimes the atmosphere isn’t right because you’re in a place that doesn’t promote conversation, or the timing is just off.
Conversation is so important as a family. If you’re looking for ideas or a fun way to connect as a family, these starters might be helpful for you.
As you choose a conversation starter from the jar, you may find that it’s a light and easy topic to talk about and you can even pick another from the jar. Some starters, however, are more in-depth. And whatever the responses are and wherever the conversation goes, I pray you are able to create stronger bonds as a family.
50 FAMILY CONVERSATION STARTERS + FREE PRINTABLE
- Did you meet someone new today? If so, what was their name and where did you meet them?
- What time did you get up today?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is the name of the friend(s) you enjoy being with?
- Did you learn something new today? If so, what was it? Did you enjoy learning about it?
- Do you like arts and crafts? If so, what’s your favorite?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s color(s) do you like the most? What’s color(s) do you like the least?
- What’s your favorite season? Winter, spring, summer or fall?
- What’s your favorite family holiday/vacation that we went on?
- What’s your favorite holiday day on the calendar? (ie. Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.)
- What’s the vegetable you like the most? What’s the vegetable you like the least?
- What’s the fruit you like the most? What’s the fruit you like the least?
- What was a highlight of your day today?
- Do you have a favorite game?
- What’s your favorite dessert?
- How much water did you drink today?
- What was the weather like today?
- What are you looking forward to this week?
- What’s your favourite sport?
- Did you do some stretching or exercises today?
- What did you have for your previous breakfast?
- What did you have for your previous lunch?
- What did you have for your previous supper?
- What should be our next meal?
- What was the last song you listened to?
- Whose birthday is next?
- What way(s) do you like to relax and enjoy some down time?
- Do you like cats or dogs better? Why?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- Do you like sunny days? Rain days? Snowy days?
- Do you like to build/create with your hands? What kinds of things do you like to build/create?
- What modes of transportation have you been on?
- What’s the household chore you enjoy the most? What’s your least enjoyable chore?
- What makes our family special?
- What is nicest thing someone has said to you?
- If you could have a super power, what would it be? Why?
- Where would you fly to if you had wings?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? What would you like to do there?
- Describe yourself using 3 words.
- Did you help someone today? Who was it and how did you help them?
- Did anyone help you today? Who was it and how did they help you?
- Why is it important to be helpful?
- If you could give something special to a friend, what would it be, and who would you give it to?
- What is something that you like to do to make yourself feel happy, when you’re feeling sad?
- If you could keep one item, what would it be?
- What would you like to do better tomorrow?
- What are you grateful for today?
- What are you proud of today?